PART 22 RINA ALBERT LLAMAS-GRAPHIC DESIGNER

PART 22 SOMETHING INTERESTING AND FUN ABOUT THE LLAMAS FAMILY OF THE PHILIPPINES
BY: DEO ANTONIO D. LLAMAS

RINA ALBERT LLAMAS-GRAPHIC DESIGNER


As in the previous chapter another Llamas has captured the hearts of the graphic design world here in the local Art scene.Distinguished herself in this highly competitive industry with the loving support of her husband Raffy Llamas who in the same way is in the highly competitve garments and fashion industry as General Manager for Polo Club. Her mom is Lily Chan the sister of Jose Marie Chan the singer. She illustrated  the cover of this book as well.

Allow me to share her success story as one of the top Graphic designer of the country.

ARTICLES ON RINA ALBERT LLAMAS-GRAPHIC DESIGNER

Rina Albert-Llamas:
Drawing and living the fabulous life
By Bea J. Ledesma (The Philippine Star)
Updated August 25, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - On paper, Rina Albert-Llamas lives the good life jetting to Paris, summering in Greece, shopping in Palm Springs. And by paper, I mean her much-adored illustrations of pretty girls garbed in preppy separates that decorate her line of stationery, notebooks and cards. Known for her playful, signature style, her work has graced the pages of numerous publications, including this one, and plenty of labels, including Rustan’s, Itsie Bitsie, Just G and Tint. An art grad with a minor in business from Manhattanville College in New York Rina embodies the women who appear in her sketches. Well-traveled, well-versed in the vagaries of luxury fashion , Kate Spade heel are as much a star in her drawings as the girls) and well-read (many of the illustrations feature girls daintily typing away on a laptop or scribbling furiously on their desk), these female figures are pure fantasy with their imaginary Tory Burch-packed closets and stamp-filled passports, yet they remain relatable much like Rina herself.
Images of a girl cozied up on a comfy couch with a pile of books are the kind of illustrations that most often draw a reaction from people.
“I wanted to do an illustration that many of us women can relate to. I think that most women enjoy relaxing at home with a really good book. I want women to see this illustration and say ‘Hey! That’s so me on a Sunday afternoon!’”
The artist, who is married to Polo Club GM Raffy Llamas, is modest about her lifestyle. She spends most of her day devoted to caring for her two children, two-year-old Santino and six-month-old Mateo, and her husband, then dedicates some time each day to her illustrations, usually when the kids are tucked in bed for their afternoon nap.
Since giving birth, her style has evolved. “I noticed that I a bit more grown up now!” she laughs. “I’m also a lot more practical with the way I dress. I like to wear jeans with tops that don’t wrinkle easily and comfy flats.”
Even if her wardrobe is filled with comfy basics, there are a hints or two of her colorful work that emerge every so often from her wardrobe a wildly-colored paisley scarf, a vivid tunic, dramatic

. There are still shades of that cheeky, obsessed girl Rina creates even if it’s mostly on paper.

PHILIPPINE STAR: Every artist gets this question, but we like to cover the basics here. What inspires you?
RINA ALBERT-LLAMAS: Lots of different things. For example: the works of other artists, my travels, beautiful architecture, interesting things I see in books and magazines, random stuff that catch my attention when I’m out shopping, etc etc.
Your illustrations feature girls about town in the south of France or Palm Springs and other hotspots. Is there only one girl or is it numerous girls? And who is your template for these girls?
I illustrate numerous girls! I give them names that match their character. All my girls have a certain look. They’re tall and lean and have nice long lashes and pouty lips.
What places have inspired your drawings?
Lots of places. For example: Villefranche, Portofino, etc. for their beautiful, colorful architecture and for their lovely quaint shops and cafes. Paris and New York are examples of gorgeous cities that have inspired my illustrations a lot. I love Parisian architecture with all their beautiful details and mansard roofs. I definitely get lots of ideas for illustrations when I’m in Paris and New York. Hawaii inspires me in a different way of course! Hawaii inspired me to do lots of cute beachy illustrations.
Tell us about your design process. Does it start with a single shoe then the rest of the outfit materializes?
I see an image that inspires me (a nice top, etc), then I look for stuff that go with it. Then I try to come up with a nice setting for the girl that goes with the outfit. When I have a clear picture in my head of the illustration I want to do, I start drawing. If I’m happy with my pencil sketch, I’ll start watercoloring it. After that, I scan it into my computer and tweak it a bit if I need to.
You seem to have an affinity for Kate Spade and her preppy sensibilities. Are there other labels you pine after?
I’m not brand conscious but I do enjoy shopping at stores like JCrew, Banana Republic, Gap, Zara, Mango, and H&M.
Your art is so sweet and girly. What’s your opinion on the hyper-prevalent neo-grunge trends?
I appreciate lots of different kinds of art, even art styles that are very different from my own. Actually, the way I dress (and the way I design) is pretty eclectic. I’m mostly classic preppy, but I like to incorporate some unexpected elements too.
Shoes and bags factor largely in your etchings. Is there a particular shoe or bag you’re drooling after?
Not really drooling...but I would like a nice pair of Tory Burch flats.
Have you considered designing your own line of accessories? Like, actual shoes and bags?
I’ve toyed with the idea of designing my own accessories but my paper products are keeping me busy enough already. Maybe when my kids are older and I have more time to myself.
When did you start putting pen to paper and decide on illustrations as your vocation?
I wasn’t sure what I wanted to major in in college. I went to a liberal arts college in New York called Manhattanville. During my freshman year, one of the art professors named Prof. Trakis saw a painting that I did and asked me if I was an art major. I said I wasn’t and he basically told me I should consider majoring in art. I thought about it and eventually decided to major in art and minor in business. From then on I knew I wanted to illustrate professionally.
What’s the allure of pretty stationery? Were you one of those kids who collected reams of Hello Kitty notebooks and paper?
I have always loved beautiful stationery! I have that in common with my mom. I was always drawn to stores like Papyrus, Ordning & Reda, The Paper Source, and Kate’s Paperie during my travels. I’ve always enjoyed shopping for and stocking up on pretty note cards! I can spend hours in a stationery store!
How has your taste evolved since childhood?
When I was a kid, I was into ’80s punk rock style. Then in the ’90s I went through my grunge phase. I wore rugged denim cut offs, worn T-shirts, and Birkinstocks. Then I moved to New York for college so I got into the whole New York artsy streamlined look. I wore lots of black turtleneck sweaters with dark jeans and boots. In my twenties I was really laid-back and wore a lot of flip flops and capri jeans with fitted tops and chunky jewelry. These days I’m still very laid-back in the way I dress but I’m a teensy bit dressier. I love wearing nice tunic tops with a good pair of jeans and nice flats.
Define your personal style.
Classic preppy with a twist?
What was your biggest fashion moment?
I wore a pretty navy blue dress to Christmas Eve dinner when I was 14. My cousin says that my wearing that dress was the start of my being fashion conscious because from then on, I was very particular about the way I dressed (because before then I was happy to wear whatever my mom gave me to wear).
First thing you spent your first paycheck on?
I really don’t remember! (laughs)
What was your first designer purchase?
I don’t really buy myself designer stuff. I’m a pretty thrifty shopper. The designer stuff I own are gifts from my mom, dad, husband, etc.
What do you never leave home without?
My cellphone, my wallet, and good lipstick
What is your no-fail outfit?
A nice bright colored tunic top, jeans, and sandals
Whose closet would you most like to raid?
Tory Burch’s closet! I love her very relaxed but elegant style.
What do you feel best wearing?
Jeans and a nice top! I like to be comfortable.
What’s your most recent purchase?
I bought myself a really pretty pair of gunmetal satin peep toe heels
Your fave place to shop?
Woodbury! It’s a really cool factory outlet place in New York.
What is your latest purchase you are in love with?
A really pretty Tory Burch bag. It’s a slouchy slightly metallic gold colored bag with a leather strap. It goes with almost everything I wear.
Priciest bauble you acquired?
I don’t buy myself jewelry but my lola, mom, and husband have given me jewelry that I love and value especially for sentimental reasons. I especially love the engagement ring my husband gave me.
What three pieces define your everyday style?
Jeans, flats, a big tote
Local designers you admire?
I like Inno Sotto, Rajo Laurel, and Randy Ortiz a lot for their timeless and elegant styles.
Foreign?
I love the style of Georgina Chapman & Keren Craig who are the co-founders of Marchesa. I find their clothes so elegant, classy, timeless, tasteful, and wearable. I love their evening gowns
Bags or shoes?
I like Kate Spade bags a lot. They’re classic with a punch. I really like Tory Burch’s totes a lot too. And I’d love a nice Chloe bag. For shoes I don’t stick to the same brands all the time. As long as they look and feel good, I’m happy.
Is there an item in your closet you cherish the most?
My wedding gown for sentimental reasons.
Do you have any fundamental rules of dressing?
I always like to be sure I look decent, neat, and pulled together.
What do you regret buying the most?
Maybe a metallic green and black swimsuit when I was pregnant. I bought it because it was one of the few swimsuits that fit my pregnant belly at the time but it wasn’t really my style so I shouldn’t have forced the issue...
Most unforgettable present you’ve received?
The gold charm bracelet that my husband gave me when we were still dating. He had it custom made. Each charm represented something significant to us.
Most outrageous purchase?
Nothing really because I don’t buy myself expensive things. I think I’m a pretty frugal shopper.
Best sartorial advice from your parents?
To dress decently and appropriately at all times.
Who, in your opinion, is emblematic of classic style?
The late Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. She always looked so elegant and tasteful (but still comfortable). Her clothes were the definition of understated elegance. She looked effortlessly chic and fashionable. I love her signature New Yorker style.
What’s your idea of a perfect pair of shoes?
Four-inch stilletoes that are as comfortable as flats! (laughs)
If someone were to do your portrait, who would it be?
Rembrandt. This is obviously impossible because he’s dead, But If he were still alive I’d love to see a portrait of myself done by him in his later years when his brushstrokes were a lot looser and more free and confident. One of my favorite paintings is a self portrait he made of himself in his later years when he was much more sure of himself.
* * *
Rina Albert-Llamas' products are available in Rustan's Essenses, Powerbooks, Fully Booked, Tie Me Up Buttercup and Wrap Shop. Visit her website rinadesign.com or e-mail her at rina_albert@yahoo.com.


About Rina ( from her website rinadesign.com )

Rina Chan Albert-Llamas studied fine art, design, and business at Manhattanville College in New York. After graduating with honors in 2001, she started illustrating, designing, and distributing her ownline of paper products.

In addition to designing her own products, she’s done a lot of freelance illustration work for many clients such as Rustan’s. Just G, Itsie Bitsie, Tint, Cinderella, Remi Martin, and Toblerone to name a few. She’s also done illustrationwork for a number of periodicals such as Mega, Metro Society, Just Shop, The Philippine Star, etc. She has also illustrated a number of books.

Rina enjoys travelling and draws much of her inspiration and artistic influence from her travels. Her art can be inspired by almost anything... from classic French architecture to tastefully packaged products in quaint little shops. Viewing the works of other artists in galleries, museums, and even children’s books (such as the Eloise books illustrated by Hilary Knight, and of course the playfully illustrated books by Dr. Seuss) are among the many ways she gets her creative juices flowing.

Playfully illustrated chic and glamorous women, clothes, accessories, and architecture rendered in watercolor embody Rina’s signature style... from the elegant and glamorous traveller vacationing in the south of France to the polished lady having high tea in a chic satin dress with her pampered puppy by her side.

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

HISTORY OF DAGUPAN

PHOTO GALLERY: SOMETHING INTERESTING AND FUN ABOUT THE LLAMAS FAMILY OF THE PHILIPPINES

wikipedea on Ronald Llamas